Homemade Toothpaste

Well, friends – I’ve been at it again here in the design finch laboratory, this time experimenting with a recipe for homemade toothpaste. Why am I making toothpaste, you ask?

When I started reading about the toxins (think rat poison and engine degreaser) contained in most conventional toothpastes, we made the decision to switch to natural toothpaste. We were using Tom’s of Maine for a while, but never really liked the flavor, plus it is a little more expensive. So I was intrigued when I found Simple Mom’s recipe for homemade toothpaste.

Homemade Toothpaste Ingredients

You only need a few ingredients to make your own toothpaste:

• baking soda
  • coconut oil
  • Stevia natural sweetner
  • pure peppermint extract
  • lidded container
I found everything at Whole Foods, with the exception of the container (which, in full disclosure, is just a Nutella jar I dug out of our recycling bin). My first batch of toothpaste turned out too watery when I followed the recipe, so now instead of precisely measuring out the ingredients I just mix things together until it resembles toothpaste.

Making Homemade Toothpaste

I start by filling the container about half full of baking soda, then slowly mixing in coconut oil a little at a time until its the same consistency as toothpaste. Finally, I add about a teaspoon of Stevia and a few drops of peppermint extract to achieve that minty fresh taste.

Homemade Toothpaste

We use a little spoon to scoop the toothpaste out of the jar onto our toothbrushes. I have to admit that its an acquired taste and, at first, it seems a little weird to brush your teeth with anything other than Crest. However, now that we’ve perfected the recipe for making our own natural toothpaste, we actually prefer it over the store-bought stuff.

I’m not certain if 9 out of 10 dentists endorse this method, but I’m sure it’s totally fine. I mean, nothing says dental hygiene like brushing your teeth with homemade toothpaste straight from an old Nutella jar. It seems like a better choice than rat poison.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

1 Trackbacks

You can leave a trackback using this URL: http://www.designfinch.com/2011/08/20/toothpaste/trackback/

1. By Cinco Things – design finch on May 5, 2013 at 10:17 pm

[...] frying chicken to shaving your legs! I’ve shared before that I even use coconut oil to make natural homemade toothpaste. Most recently, though, I’ve been using it as my facial moisturizer. All winter long my skin [...]

8 Comments

1. Girl… you are so impressive I can’t even tell you.

Posted August 20, 2011 at 10:31 am | Permalink
  2. OliviaNo Gravatar

I am so glad to have stumbled across your blog!! I was sent here from http://www.aholyexperince.com when I clicked on a link for scheduling and menu-planning printables! I have been browsing your page and I love it! I am the mother of two teen-agers and have recently been taking college classes for the first time ever! I have been having a hard time trying to figure out what I want to be when I grow up! As I read your bio and look at your portfolio I am realizing that graphic design may be for me! I love making invitations, fliers and brochures for personal use and work. In fact, I recently designed weekly organizer sheets for myself, similar to what you’ve posted. I have some thinking and researching to do on the topic, but I wanted to thank you for sharing your creativity. You don’t know me, but you sure have inspired me!

Posted August 22, 2011 at 8:17 pm | Permalink
  3. ShaylaNo Gravatar

@Olivia: Olivia, your sweet comment totally made my day! How exciting that you are going back to school and considering a career in graphic design. It sounds like you’re already designing a lot of creative things and I encourage you to keep it up. I wish you all the best with your “grown up” career!

Posted August 25, 2011 at 10:29 pm | Permalink
  4. MeganNo Gravatar

I’m going to go make this right now! An idea for storing, instead of the spoon and jar (that will be too many steps for my husband lol), is to put it in a squirt bottle (like a shampoo/lotion type lid) and squirt it on the brush or into a pump bottle then you can just pump it onto the brush! Thanks for the recipe :) I am excited!

Posted February 23, 2012 at 5:25 pm | Permalink
  5. Hi! This looks great! I have one question though – I know that Stevia is often used as a sugar substitute but does it react the same way on our teeth as sugar does? Meaning – is it okay to have some of this left on our teeth if we miss some after rinsing? I just wonder if it can cause decay like sugar even though it is not the same thing.
    Thanks!

Posted July 2, 2012 at 10:54 pm | Permalink
  6. yvonneNo Gravatar

You could use liquid xylitol rather than stevia. xylitol has, in some limited studies, shown that it tends to prevent tooth decay. Or you can wing it with the stevia. They are both natural sweeteners so it wouldn’t be much of a surprise if, when they get around to studying stevia for a variety of effects on the body, they determine that it is not bad for the teeth.

Shayla, I am interested in knowing if you still use this recipe and if you have made any modifications. Not that this isn’t a wonderful recipe. Just that I find as I use a recipe more and more over I time, I might make small adjustments to it. Those adjustments may be totally idiosyncratic, but still can be noteworthy. Just wondering. Thanks! :-)

Posted December 7, 2012 at 2:56 am | Permalink
  7. ShaylaNo Gravatar

@yvonne: Yes, we still use basically this same recipe every day, although I have made a couple modifications over time. I find that you don’t really need the natural sweetener once your tastebuds adjust to using natural toothpaste. Just the baking soda and coconut oil get the job done! I add the peppermint extract if I have it, but even that is optional.

Posted December 7, 2012 at 9:33 am | Permalink
  8. carlaNo Gravatar

@Shayla: mine tends to turn yellow over time (I add glycerine to squeeze it from a tube), does yours too or is it the glycerine reacting with it?

Posted March 21, 2014 at 9:32 pm | Permalink