Put a Cork In It

For Earth Day this year, Anthropologie created an entire theme around recycled wine corks and even hosted a “Crafting with Cork” day in many of their stores. After receiving the invite, I immediately called to reserve my spot at the event and was asked how many children I would be bringing with me. “Ummm…..ZERO?!”

Crafting with Cork at AnthropologieThen I slightly panicked at the thought of sitting at a child-size table surrounded by snotty-nosed preschoolers making crafts! But, fortunately, that wasn’t the case. At the big kids table, we learned to make funky jewelry out of recycled wine corks. I made a broach and a hair clip while Amanda made some fabulous shoe accessories. A good time was had by all (as captured on Kara’s blog)!

I’ve been collecting wine corks in a big vase for several years now and, after the Anthro event, felt inspired to do something creative with them. After searching for ideas on the interweb, I decided to make another bulletin board by slicing up the corks into circles.

Recycled Wine Cork Bulletin Board

I think my DIY bulletin board turned out pretty cute…especially considering the entire project only cost 64 cents since I already had most of the materials on hand. The only thing I bought was a bottle of kiwi green paint for the background color that peeks through between the corks. These are the supplies I used for this project:

• Salvaged 16″ x 20″ frame
  • 1/4″ plywood, cut to fit frame
  • Spray paint for the frame
  • Acrylic paint for the plywood
  • Approx. 60 wine corks, cut into circles
  • X-acto knife
  • Glue gun

Caution: cork crafting could easily become an addicting new hobby. Just look at all the fun project ideas I discovered!

Recycled Wine Cork Decor

clockwise from top: Wine Cork Ball, Wine Cork Tile, Wall of Wine Corks,
Wine Cork Bath Mat, Wine Cork Mosaic Flooring, Wine Cork Room Divider

Recycled Wine Cork Projects clockwise from top: Succulent Wine Cork Magnet, Wine Cork Plant Marker,
Wine Cork Wreath, Wine Cork Vase Filler, Wine Cork Trees

Recycled Wine Cork Giftsclockwise from top: Wine Cork Trivet, Wine Cork Coasters,
Wine Cork Trivet and Coaster Set, Wine Cork Place Card Holders

Recycled Wine Cork Crafts

clockwise from top: Wine Cork Stamps, “I Love Wine” Bulletin Board,
Wine Cork Monogram, Valentine’s Wine Cork Stamps, Cork Wine Glass Charms

You can craft with a clean conscience knowing that cork is a 100% natural, renewable, recyclable and biodegradable material that is obtained through an environmentally friendly harvesting process.

Note to self: buy more wine!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

5 Trackbacks

You can leave a trackback using this URL: http://www.designfinch.com/2011/04/30/put-a-cork-in-it/trackback/

1. By Hot for Corks | DIY Del Ray on July 25, 2011 at 7:06 am

[...] you get hooked on upcycling with corks, check out the bazillion other cork projects you can do, including jewelry, bulletin boards, stamps, bathmats, and plant markers. Drink [...]

2. By Crafting with Corks « Diamonds and Dust on August 14, 2011 at 10:38 pm

[...] We were pleasantly surprised at what a wonderful time we had. We were the first to arrive and the ladies that worked the crafting station were GREAT! One actually has a blog (Kara) and she was incredible sweet. Shayla and I made a cameo on her blog – check it out: Kara’s Blog. Shayla also blogged about our adventure crafting with corks: Shayla’s Blog. [...]

3. By 10 Triple Awesome Wine Cork Crafts | Momcaster on January 13, 2012 at 4:19 pm

[...] This cutie is from Design Finch is precious. She made it completely on the cheap, too. Make sure you check out her wine cork [...]

4. [...] This cutie is from Design Finch ¬†and it’s¬†precious. She made it completely on the cheap, too. Make sure you check out her [...]

5. [...] Source: designfinch.com [...]

13 Comments

1. You always have the cutest projects! I love your cork board.
    I totally wish I could have that glass wall of corks! That is AMAZING. How the heck do they even get them in there??
    Also, I love “Flowers” wine. The pic that has the succulent (is that what it’s called?!) in the cork. So yummy.

Posted May 1, 2011 at 6:56 pm | Permalink
  2. ShaylaNo Gravatar

@liz: I was wondering the exact same thing about the cork wall…I have no idea how they got them in there. But you need to figure it out because I think a cork wall would look amazing in your new bar! :)

Good recommendation on the Flowers wine….I will keep an eye out for that one!

Posted May 2, 2011 at 8:33 am | Permalink
  3. I am intrigued with cork craft projects. Thanks for sharing all the projects you discovered. my favorite is the coffee trivet and coasters that are sewn together.

Posted May 14, 2011 at 7:33 am | Permalink
  4. AndreaNo Gravatar

Hello – I’m hoping to make wine charms for my wedding with sliced cork. What’s the best way to slice the cork? Is there places where you can buy the sliced cork in bulk?

Please help ;)

Posted May 26, 2011 at 10:42 am | Permalink
  5. ShaylaNo Gravatar

@Andrea: That sounds like such a cute idea! I simply used an X-acto utility knife to slice the corks for my bulletin board and that worked really well. I’ve heard of people using a scroll saw, too: http://adventuresincreating.blogspot.com/2011/04/wine-cork-board.html. Good luck…I’m sure your wine charms will be adorable!

Posted May 26, 2011 at 10:57 am | Permalink
  6. Thank you for featuring our recycled wine cork letter! What a great collection of design ideas and projects – I will definitely be coming back for inspiration!

Posted June 29, 2011 at 3:07 am | Permalink
  7. @Syrah:
    We actual sell them here too: http://www.etsy.com/listing/62377171/monogram-letter-recycled-wine-cork-wall
    if you don’t have the time or corks to make one ;)

Posted June 29, 2011 at 3:08 am | Permalink
  8. ShaylaNo Gravatar

@Syrah: Oh, wonderful! Thank you for the link, Syrah! Your cork letters are cute as can be!

Posted June 29, 2011 at 8:17 am | Permalink
  9. Love your ideas for corks! I’m so going to make my sister the plant one. I’m always trying to repurpose corks too. I just did a take on wine charms that is different from yours. Check it out if you’d like. http://www.stylebaggage.com/?p=1734

Posted September 7, 2011 at 8:33 pm | Permalink
  10. Kris andersonNo Gravatar

I was also wondering where you can get used corks. I could drink it myself, but goodness it would take years! :)

Posted April 22, 2012 at 1:46 pm | Permalink
  11. ShaylaNo Gravatar

@Kris anderson: Sometimes you can find them on Ebay. You might also try Freecycle or ask a local restaurant or winery to save them for you.

Posted April 22, 2012 at 7:18 pm | Permalink
  12. JoniNo Gravatar

so inspiring! love to reuse corks.

Posted August 19, 2012 at 9:13 am | Permalink
  13. ShelleyNo Gravatar

So glad to see ideas for using corks. I’m trying to recycle when I can. Thanks for your great ideas.

Posted October 19, 2012 at 2:01 pm | Permalink